Perez worked for Aurora’s mayoral department of communications for four years and was the director of community engagement for West Aurora School District 129 for over a year. Alderpersons Pat Dowell and Jeanette Taylor have endorsed.
Candidate questionnaire responses:
- Do you have experience as an activist or community organizer? Yes
- Do you have experience interacting with CPD? Yes
- Do you have experience working or interacting with government? Yes
- Should the city hire more police officers? No*
- Is CPD adequately funded? Yes: funding should stay about the same.
- CPD reform: The police need training and some reform.
- Mental health crises: Police should accompany healthcare workers to crises.
*I do not believe that we need to expand hiring; I think we should focus on filling in the vacancies that we currently have.
What do you consider the primary role of a police district councilor to be?
- Establishing civilian control of the department
- Helping the police do a better job
- Communicating with the department on behalf of the community
Why are you running for Police District Council?
To increase transparency and accountability through modernization of communication and outreach efforts.