The Lakota tribe’s “winter count,” a spiraling collection of glyphs symbolizing a noteworthy event from each year, functioned as both a means of keeping track of time and a pictorial history. One of the counts fell into the hands of missionary Aaron Macaffey Beede, who donated it to the Chicago Historical Society in 1923. It’s part of the interactive exhibit “Go West! Chicago and American Expansion.” A glyph from 1812, “Capa Cikala ti ile” (“Little Beaver’s house burned down”), is believed to depict the burning home of trader Registre Loisel, who got his nickname because he was small and usually stayed inside his wood house. The exhibit opens this weekend at the society, North at Clark (312-642-4600). Opening activities–which include face painting, craft making, and performances–take place 11 to 4 on Saturday and noon to 5 on Sunday. Admission is $5, $3 for students and seniors, $1 for kids ages 6 to 12.
Art accompanying story in printed newspaper (not available in this archive): lakota glyph photograph.