Posted inNews & Politics

Meyercord Company Building

When Abel Faidy and Julius Floto designed the Meyercord Company building at 5323 W. Lake in the late 30s, the Swiss-born Faidy already had a reputation for creativity and originality in furniture and interior design. Tall glass-block windows, rounded corners, and a central bay of glass bricks stretching three stories from sidewalk to roof give […]

Posted inArts & Culture

On Exhibit: unearthing a newly found Neutra

Richard Neutra, the California architect often credited with introducing the International style to American architecture, only spent a couple years in the midwest, but they were formative ones. He was fascinated by the innovative commercial architecture of the Chicago School, and worked briefly for Holabird and Roche, the Chicago firm responsible for the first steel-skeleton […]

Posted inNews & Politics

Motor Row

With its plain cream brick facade and run-down interior visible through a large display window, the Ford Motor Company showroom at 1444 S. Michigan doesn’t look like a landmark. But the utilitarian building has a revolutionary past–legend has it that while Henry Ford was here in 1905 to oversee the construction of his first showroom […]