Reader staffers share stories that fascinate, alarm, amuse, or inspire us.
Hey, did you read:
• About whether the Oregon standoff is really evidence of a racial double standard? —Steve Bogira
• That the Coachella lineup is out? (It includes the Black Madonna, who recently appeared in the Reader‘s People Issue.) —Leor Galil
• About The Defender, Ethan Michaeli’s new history of the Chicago Defender—a “towering achievement,” according to this New York Times review? —Steve Bogira
• About the Moon Ark, a conceptual art project that will send a “portrait of humanity” to the moon that includes microscopic sculptures, a collection of e-mails between an artist and his wife, the DNA of a genetically modified goat, and the commingled blood of 33 artists? —Aimee Levitt
• About Hélène Rey, whom the Economist calls the next Piketty for her work on the global financial cycle? —Kate Schmidt
• About OnSmash.com, a hip-hop blog seized by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement unit of the Department of Homeland Security in 2010—and returned to its owner five years later “with little explanation and without ever being formally charged with any wrongdoing?” —John Dunlevy