Reader staffers share stories that fascinate, alarm, amuse, or inspire us.
Hey, did you read:
• About how the Supreme Court justices spent their summer vacations? —Kate Schmidt
• This facial feedback hypothesis on smiling? —Sue Kwong
• The Vatican’s official statement regarding Pope Francis’s meeting with Kim Davis? —Philip Montoro
• About declining interest in e-books? —Aimee Levitt
• Brad Leithauser on John Updike, in particular his “naked poetry” (e.g., “Fellatio,” “Two Cunts in Paris,” “The Beautiful Bowel Movement”)? —Kate Schmidt
• That a county sheriff’s office in Santa Cruz is testing new tech that, via an officer’s cell phone, alerts dispatchers when a deputy’s gun is unholstered or fired? —Ryan Smith