- Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
- The U.S. women’s soccer team began their World Cup campaign with a victory.
Reader staffers share stories that fascinate, alarm, amuse, or inspire us.
Hey, did you read:
• About the Lakeview woman who while walking a pit-bull puppy was accosted in broad daylight by a man who demanded, “Bitch, give me the dog“? —Kate Schmidt
• That Amazon has decided to stop selling ISIS’s propaganda magazine? —Mick Dumke
• About how swimming pools in private communities contribute to racial tension? —Steve Bogira
• About learning to accept a child who doesn’t conform to gender norms? —Aimee Levitt
• That the city of Portland is working to make sustainable living more affordable? —Drew Hunt
• About how the “myopic arrogance” of FIFA officials consigned Women’s World Cup games to artificial turf? (The U.S. won its opener yesterday, 3-1 over Australia.) —Steve Bogira
• That Bailiwick Chicago’s The Wild Party did especially well at last night’s non-Equity Jeff Awards ceremony? —Tony Adler
• The Guardian on the “amazing imploding Chicago Fire“? —Kate Schmidt
• Or see these photographs of people lying in a week’s worth of their own trash? —Andrea Bauer
• This helpful overview of the venerable Cannon Films? —Drew Hunt
• How smoke from forest fires in Canada is affecting today’s sunshine? —Sue Kwong