The city doesn’t shut down just because it’s Christmas; this year there won’t even be the threat of a blizzard! Whether you’re trying to avoid Christmas cheer, need somewhere to drag your family, or simply want to have a meal, there are plenty of ways to avoid cabin fever during the holiday break.
Open Table has a list of more than 170 places that will be open on Christmas Eve. Here are 12 Reader-recommended spots:
• “Pop Art Design” just kicked off at the Museum of Contemporary Art.
• The Art Institute of Chicago’s “Degas: At the Track, On the Stage”
• The Field Museum’s Cyrus Tang Hall of China
• “Skimption” at the Ukrainian Institute of Modern Art
See a show
The show must go on, as they say, and these are four Reader-recommended holiday performances playing today:
There are festive screenings, parties, and even more to get you out of the house today:
• Elf plays at the Logan Theatre.
• Carol-oke at Bub City
• A dance party at the Promontory with music from Alan King, Terry Hunter, and Torin Edmond
• The final double feature of the Music Box’s Christmas Show
Open Table has a list of more than 90 places that will be open on Christmas Day. Here are seven Reader-recommended spots:
• Our list of recommended Chinese restaurants
Go to the movies
Be sure to get our critics’ takes on which of these holiday releases is worth seeing (spoiler alert: it doesn’t look promising):
If you’re in the mood for some alternative yuletide celebrations, we’ve got you covered:
The rinks don’t adhere to holiday hours. Strap on your skates and take a spin whenever you like at these spots:
• Maggie Daley Ice Skating Ribbon
• McCormick Tribune Ice Rink