On March 8, the Edgewater Chamber of Commerce will host its second annual International Women’s Day Dinner Crawl featuring women-owned restaurants and business in the community.
“International Women’s Day is celebrated in a lot of different ways in different communities,” says Katrina Balog, executive director of the Edgewater Chamber of Commerce. “We have a lot of ethnic restaurants and a lot of women-owned restaurants, so we saw an opportunity to highlight all of the women that are doing great things in Edgewater.”
Expanding from the previous year, the crawl now features a north and south route running along North Broadway between between Devon and Argyle. For $35, participants can choose between the north or south routes to sample food and drinks and visit more than 40 businesses.
Featured restaurants include First Slice Pie Cafe, Ethiopian Diamond, and Mango Pickle, which, Reader critic Mike Sula wrote, “offer[s] a personal interpretation of the food of India’s western coast from Gujarat to Goa, in the middle of which is Mumbai, where [chef Marisa Paolillo] lived for nine years with her husband and in-laws.”
The event has expanded its definition of community to include other woman-owned businesses outside of Edgewater, such as Rhine Hall Distillery and Fireside Chicago. The Chamber of Commerce paired outside businesses with other women-owned or women co-owned locations already along the route.
“You get a little taste, literally and figuratively, of businesses,” says Anne Phillips of Edge Theatre, which will be hosting the theater group Artemisia for the second year.
A portion of ticket sales also benefit Apna Ghar, Inc., which provides holistic services to immigrant survivors of gender violence.
The North Route includes:
* Uncommon Ground-Devon hosting Apna Ghar
* Chi-Town Shakti: Yoga + Meditation in Chicago hosting First Sip Cafe
* The Chicago Mosaic School hosting Himmel’s
* Aartwerk Studio hosting Fireside
* Edgewater Artists In Motion – Gallery 1070 hosting Defloured
* Kwai Fah Acupuncture Clinic hosting KOVAL Distillery
* RAM Art Studio hosting First Slice Cafe
* Edge of Sweetness Bakery and Commercial Shared Kitchen hosting Hooked on Fish and Rivendell Theatre Ensemble
* The Growling Rabbit hosting Chicago Danztheatre Ensemble
The South Route includes:
* Independent Spirits, Inc. hosting Rhine Hall Distillery
* Edgewater Chamber of Commerce hosting Chutney Devis and Apna Ghar
* pHlour Bakery & Cafe hosting the Viola Project
* Salon Echo hosting My Chocolate Soul
* The Edge Theater hosting Artemisia
Additional participating restaurants and organizations along the routes include:
Tickets can be found at edgewater.org.