Local indie hip-hop label Closed Sessions has recently been hosting monthly rap showcases at Schubas, and the August bill is quite strong; Dilated Peoples’ Evidence headlines a bill that also includes locals Giftz (who is about to drop his Position of Power mixtape), Whoevers, DJ Rude One, and DJ RTC, aka Closed Sessions’ Alex Fruchter. We’re giving away a pair of tickets to the show, which goes down Saturday, August 24, but you need to do a little work to win them.
To enter the contest answer the following trivia questions about the acts on the bill. Once you’ve got your answers locked in send them to firstname.lastname@example.org (not my e-mail) by next Wednesday, August 21 at noon; the winner will be notified the next day. Here are the questions:
• What Grammy Award-winning rap album did Evidence coproduce?
• What’s the name of the Position of Power song Giftz cut with King Louie and Rockie Fresh?
• Whoevers recently dropped a tune called “Roll of the Dice,” which features a beat by a production collective—what’s the name of the group that made the beat, and what country do they hail from?
• Who is the local house producer and member of WBMX’s Hot Mix 5 that inspired DJ Rude One when he was growing up?
• DJ RTC went to school at Indiana University Bloomington with a couple other players in Chicago’s hip-hop scene—name one of them.
Good luck to all you readers, and if you don’t end up winning the tickets you can still buy them for $15 at Schubas’ site.