At 5 PM Saturday, March 21, Governor J.B. Pritzker’s COVID-19 Executive Order No. 8, aka the Stay at Home order, took effect. Here’s a daily-ish journal of how Reader staff, our friends, family—and our pets—are spending our time.
Days 64 and 65: May 23 and 24
What we’re watching (aka what rabbit holes we’ve gone down):
- Dog dancing (or as it’s sometimes known in the dog show world, “musical canine freestyle”), especially recent Crufts competitions
- Every single episode of Mike & Molly, viewable on Amazon Prime or the CBS app, because sometimes it’s good not to think about anything. I look forward to your cards and letters.
- Documentaries about Delia Derbyshire, because sometimes I need to remember that I can think about stuff
What we’re listening to:
- Mark Davis’s archive of the prerecorded music that used to play while you shopped at K-Mart
What we’re reading:
- Not for nothing but if you read the entry about Mike & Molly above this, you probably already have an idea about our diminished capacity to turn it off and read this week.
- But for the sake of keeping appearances, let’s say Twitter. The whole of Twitter. That’s what I’m reading. What’s it to you?
- And so I cry sometimes when I’m lying in bed
- Just to get it all out (what’s in my head)
- And I’m feeling … a little peculiar
- This is all a ruse to give us a reason to link to internet gold