Updated January 14, 2022
The Chicago Reader, the city’s alternative nonprofit newsroom, is seeking an experienced Development Associate to help support our award-winning journalism. The Development Associate is integral to engaging our donor and membership base.
The person in this role will work closely with the Development Director, the co-publishers, and development consultants to implement ongoing projects. The position requires a highly organized and self-motivated professional who can work independently while coordinating with multiple remote team members. If you are someone who is passionate about journalism and storytelling, is excited by the notion of managing the administration of several development projects, and enjoys bridging multiple stakeholders, we want to hear from you.
- Administer and manage donor CRM
- Perform data entry and data maintenance
- Pull reports for Finance and Development departments
- Assist Grant Writer with data requests
- Donor acknowledgement
- Ensure donors are thanked in a timely manner
- Follow up on pledges and billing inquiries
- Process tax filing information for donors and assist with donor requests
- Development communications
- Write and send donor correspondence, including monthly member newsletters
- Assist Development Director with creation and administration of digital fundraising campaigns
- Partner with Social Media Coordinator, Marketing Director, Digital Director, and Sales Department to ensure successful implementation of fundraising campaigns
- Develop and implement marketing, PR, and audience engagement strategy for business projects including but not limited to:
- Reader products and merchandise
- Special membership projects (book club, podcast network, etc.)
- 50th Anniversary events and special projects
- Capture and report on metrics and impact of newsletters, paid house advertising, memberships, digital fundraising campaigns, etc.
- Work with the Reader’s Chicago Independent Media Alliance project on development-related projects.
- 2-3 years experience in development, fundraising, or marketing for a non-profit and/or media organization
- Demonstrable organizational skills with an acute attention to detail
- Enthusiasm to hone brand strategy for a legacy media organization
- Ability to wear multiple hats and willingness to jump in where needed
- Personal initiative and excitement to learn
- Personal strength in relationship building
- Persuasive writing experience
- Editing experience
Nice to haves:
- Management of email program for an organization
- Expertise in Facebook Ads Manager
- Expertise in Mailchimp
- Expertise in WordPress
- Experience managing a CRM platform
- Development Director
Remote – Chicago area
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Jan. 24, 2022.
Sales Representative (Full or Part time)
The Chicago Reader is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated individual looking for a new role in media sales.
As part of the Reader team, you’ll work in an exciting industry with an unlimited earning potential, and have the support of a knowledgeable and enthusiastic management team.
Sales representative responsibilities include selling print, digital, and events to local businesses.
Our Sales Representatives typically have:
- A minimum of 2 years of sales OR similar/transferable experience
- Knowledge of media/advertising products, including print and digital
- Working knowledge and experience utilizing a CRM (Salesforce preferred), Slack, and Google Suite products to manage day-to-day activities
- Effective relationship-building skills
- Demonstrated success in meeting revenue goals
- Excellent analytical, written, oral, communication, and presentation skills
- The ability to multitask with strong time and project management skills
Ideal candidates will also:
- Have a demonstrated ability to act as a qualified marketing consultant (you can talk the talk when it comes to advertising strategy and marketing goals)
- Possess working relationships with advertisers in Chicago, (health, real estate, and financial categories preferred)
- Excel at maintaining quotas and deadlines related to sales outreach and sales activity overall
- Understand and be excited about prospecting and building new business categories
The available compensation packages vary (based on full or part time), and include salary, commission, and health benefits.
Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. The Reader is committed to creating a collaborative environment that celebrates the diversity of our staff. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
This is an ongoing search for qualified candidates for current AND future openings. For consideration, please send a resume and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact qualified candidates; no phone calls, please.