Open positions: last updated November 7, 2023
(Full or part time)
The Chicago Reader accepts applications for future openings for media sales representatives.
As part of the Reader team, you’ll work in an exciting industry with an unlimited earning potential, and have the support of a knowledgeable and enthusiastic management team.
Sales representative responsibilities include selling print, digital, and events to local businesses.
Our Sales Representatives typically have:
- Understanding of media/advertising products, including print and digital.
- Media and advertising experience— If you have not worked as a seller of media, you have been a buyer, marketing manager, or media coordinator.
- A minimum of 2 years of sales OR similar/transferable experience. Retail sales experience is not considered similar or transferable.
- Working knowledge and experience utilizing a CRM (Salesforce preferred), Slack, and Google Suite products to manage day-to-day activities
- Effective relationship-building skills
- Demonstrated success in meeting revenue goals
- Excellent analytical, written, oral, communication, and presentation skills
- The ability to multitask with strong time and project management skills
Ideal candidates will also:
- Have a demonstrated ability to act as a qualified marketing consultant (you can talk the talk when it comes to advertising strategy and marketing goals)
- Possess working relationships with advertisers in Chicago, (health, real estate, and financial categories preferred)
- Excel at maintaining quotas and deadlines related to sales outreach and sales activity overall
- Understand and be excited about prospecting and building new business categories
The available compensation packages vary (based on full or part time), and include salary, commission, and health benefits.
Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. The Reader is committed to creating a collaborative environment that celebrates the diversity of our staff. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Reader Institute for Community Journalism (RICJ), the 501(c)(3) nonprofit publisher of the Chicago Reader, is seeking a grants manager who is an organized, detail-oriented, and collaborative individual interested in a growth position with our development team.
The Grants Manager is a liaison to institutional funders – including foundations, corporations, and government sources – and is responsible for managing the institutional giving program that supports organizational goals and meets funders’ requirements. Tasks include researching, writing, and submitting letters of inquiry, proposals, reports, and other communications with funders; maintaining communications and stewarding funders; researching and maintaining a pipeline of prospective funders; monitoring performance against goals and objectives; working with colleagues to develop funding concepts; and soliciting event sponsorships and managing relationships with corporate partners.
This position reports to the Chief Development Officer and plays an important role on the Development team, contributing to departmental thinking and goals. The Grants Manager requires strong conceptual, writing, data management, program budgeting, and project management skills.
- Draft and submit LOIs, applications, reports, and other materials
- Work with the Chief Development Officer and CEO to develop grant strategies and approaches
- Work with colleagues to gain a thorough understanding of RICJ activities and develop descriptive and compelling language for use in grant-related and other fundraising materials
- Develop and maintain expertise in external data that supports the RICJ case for support
- Work with administrative and finance staff to maintain a library of financial and organizational documents for grant submissions
- Maintain institutional giving calendar, manage process and deadlines, submit all grant materials in compliance with deadlines
- Monitor grant compliance, including developing tools for outcome measurement and grant budgets; track progress toward outcomes and goals
- Maintain records, including ensuring that contacts, actions, grants, etc. are maintained accurately in Salesforce and saving/organizing materials
- Research and evaluate new prospective institutional funders; develop and maintain prospect list; initiate outreach to prospective funders to develop relationships
- Build and steward relationships with funders and prospective funders; communicate with funders about opportunities or updates
- Schedule and attend site visits and funder meetings in person and online
- Ensure that grant agreements are fully executed, and acknowledgments are issued in a timely manner.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer and CEO to solicit corporate partners for event sponsorships and to develop and execute strategies for securing corporate philanthropic support
- Support fundraising events, including attending after-hours events, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Outstanding organizational, project management, and time management skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written communication, including the ability to write clearly and concisely and in varied styles suited to different situations
- Strong interpersonal and oral presentation skills
- Ability to prioritize, work independently, take initiative and self-start
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking ability
- Keen ethical awareness and professional judgment
- 2 years of related experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or 3-7 years of related work experience)
- Proficiency in Google Suite
- Experience working with the local philanthropic community a plus
- Database management experience preferred
- An affinity for and demonstrated interest in RICJ’s mission
- Ability to occasionally work outside of business hours and on weekends
This is a hybrid-work position, living in the Chicago area and attendance at in-person meetings is required. If you’ve read the job description in its entirety, when given the opportunity, tell us what’s your favorite part of philanthropy.
Salary and Benefits
Annual salary is $55,000 – $60,000 based on experience.
To apply, CLICK HERE or visit: The deadline to apply is December 8, 2023.